Friday, January 11, 2008

Where Memories are Laid

Where memories are laid.

I turn over in the bed and glance at the clock. 9:30am.
My body aches. How long have I been asleep?
How long has it been since I’d gotten out of bed?
The body dent in the bed said a long time.

My head hurts. My eyes are swollen from crying.
It takes awhile before I’m able to pull myself up.
I look at the clock again, it is now 11 o’clock.
I pull my legs over to the edge of the bed.

My feet drop to the floor like heavy paper weights.
I lift my tear stained face, all I can see in the dark
Gloomy room are their bright smiling faces looking back at me,
faces that once brought life and happiness into my world.

But now it is dark. My light is gone.
Vanished, like the reality of a mirage.
How long has it been since my self-confinement?

My lonely reflection in the mirror cries for its loss.
One hundred days it has been.
One hundred days of grief I laid.
One hundred days of tears I paid.

I pull back the heavy curtains of a past gone by.
Living had once lost its meaning,
but now a new light fills the void.
A new life fills my soul.

Suddenly I hear sounds of old,
like a distant memory.
Not too far but just out of reach,
laughter and song, merry and bright.

I will never forget you for as long as I live,
but time has healed.
I will keep your memory close to my heart
where I’ll always be able to find you.

No comments: