Saturday, June 16, 2012

Recommended Picture Book: The Color of Us


Title: The Color of Us 

Author: Karen Katz 

Illustrator: Karen Katz 

Publisher: Owlet Paperbacks; October 1, 2002 

Suitable for: 4 and up 

Themes/Topics: Multiculturalism, Diversity awareness, Acceptance 

Opening: My name is Lena, and I am the seven I am the color of cinnamon. Mom says she can eat me up. 

Book Summary: Seven-year-old Lena is going to paint a picture of herself. She wants to use brown paint for her skin. But when she and her mother take a walk through the neighborhood, Lena learns that brown comes in many different shades. Through the eyes of a little girl who begins to see her familiar world in a new way, this book celebrates the differences and similarities that connect all people. 

Links to resources: 

Before and After activities from Teach Peace Now   
Lesson on Diversity: Similarities and Differences 

Why I like this book: 

This book is a “magically delicious” tale that celebrates diversity in our homes and communities. I love how the author uses tasty and yummy comparisons to showcase the variety of tones and hues of our skin like 'creamy peanut butter' 'cinnamon' and 'chocolate'. This book is great not just for biracial or children of color but every child will love the bold illustrations as they follow Lena as she moves about her community.

5 comments:

Beth Stilborn said...

Oh, what delightful descriptions! This sounds like such an excellent book. Thanks for sharing it!

SN Taylor said...

Thanks Beth! it is such a sweet book. I really like Karen Katz's books :)

Anonymous said...

This looks like a cute book! I like the idea!

Anonymous said...

So sorry I am so late getting to comment on your Perfect Picture Book Friday pick...we've been dealing with fires here in Colorado and had to be ready to evacuate. :(
I'm so glad I stopped by...this is a lovely book and it is so nice to meet you! I love books that help children (and adults) learn how to get along and accept EVERYONE with love and kindness.

Misha said...

This book sounds so fantastic! I love multicultural children's books and will definitely check this one out for the fabulous, fun and positive descriptions! Thank you for the mini review!