Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Recommended Picture Book: Say Something by Peggy Moss



Title: Say Something


Author: Peggy Moss


Illustrator: Lea Lyon


Publisher: Tillbury House, Publishers; April 1, 2004


Topic: Bullies, Assertiveness, Respect, School


Age: 5 and up


Opening:
There is a kid in my school who gets picked on all the time. I think he is sad..... because he keeps his head down when he walks down the hall - and he hardly ever says hello. I don't pick on him. I feel sorry for him.

Summary: A child who never says anything when other children are being teased or bullied finds herself in their position one day when jokes are made at her expense and no one speaks up, not even her friends sitting near by.

Resources:
At the back of the book there are discussion topics for both children who witness bullying and teasing and for the child being bullied and teased. It also has links for places where children can go to get help.

Check out the publisher's website for before and after discussion points, activities and games that promote anti-bullying and tolerance. It also helps children discuss ways to take a stand against those who bully and stand up for the bullied.

The Safe Schools Coalition website is LOADED with lesson plans that promote tolerance for elementary, middle and high schools.

ADL Curriculum Connections also has wonderful extension activities and discussion to go along with the book.

Why I like this book:
This book really hits home how bullying and teasing hurts kids and how it is able to keep going. Most children feel that if they don't bully or tease and that if they just feel sorry for the victims, then they have done their part. Say Something is a starting board for open discussions on how saying nothing is not the same as standing up for what is right. But say what? Many children are afraid to 'say' something out of fear of becoming the next victim of bullying. However, this story shows a very practical and safe way for children to help someone who is being teased or bullied. I also really like that it is written in first person from the point of view of a child who witnesses teasing and bullying then experiences it. It lends a more authentic voice to the story and character and allows children to better feel and relate to the characters. This is a must read and have in every home and classroom.

6 comments:

Patricia T. said...

I'm glad that you reviewed this book as it carries such an important message. I like Tillbury's books. They are always educational and many have the kids solving the problems. I recognized Lea Lyon's artwork immediately -- I like her style. Great review.

Patricia T. said...

So glad you reviewed this book by Peggy Moss. It was on my list. I love many of the Tillbury Publisher's books because the children always do the problem solving. This is such an important subject. And I love the stories behind Lea Lyons illustration. I always recognize them. Great review!

SN Taylor said...

Me too Patricia, I really like this author and illustrator of this book. I read her book, One of Us and that hooked me onto Tilbury books and Peggy Moss :)

Beth Stilborn said...

This sounds like an excellent book to deal with a topic that's more and more rampant in schools and society. Thank you for sharing it -- it will help many, I'm sure.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

This book looks like a wonderful resource, Saba. I think it's really important to have a variety of books that open discussion about bullying and how to cope with it. Thanks so much for adding this one to our list!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to discover another book that addresses the problem of bullying. I will definitely get a copy to use in school presentations and to recommend to parents and teachers. Thank you so much for sharing this book and for the great review!