Friday, April 19, 2013

Perfect Picture Book Friday: My Cold Plum Lemon Pie Bluesy Mood

 Title: My Cold Plum Lemon Pie Bluesy Mood

Author: Tameka Fryer Brown

Illustrator: Shane W Evans

Publisher: Viking, March 7, 2013

Theme: Stories in Rhyme, Colors, Exploring Moods/Feelings, African-Americans

Age: 4 and up

Opening: I'm in a mood
                  A feeling kind of mood
                  A being kind of mood
                  Is what I'm in

Summary: Jamie describes his mood throughout the day, using colors and rhyming text, as he changes from an "easy green" while drawing a picture for his sister to a "brooding black" when he is teased for doing so.

Resources:
The author has a great selection of activities including an activity guide that is aligned with the Common Core State Standards, coloring pages, math activities and more.

Why I like the Book:
I thought this book was a very creative and unique way to help children explore their feelings and moods through the use of colors. Lyrical and fun, children will enjoy watching Jamie's mood change through out the day. They will no doubt be able to relate to many of his colorful moods. It is a great book for parents or teacher to help children talk about what makes their moods change and how to express themselves. I really enjoyed the illustrations, I absolutely love Shane W Evans' work. I was thrilled when I saw that he was the illustrator for Tameka Brown's book. 

No comments: