Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A-Z Challenge: M is for My Mother's Garden



Title: My Mother’s Garden

Author: Emila Yusof

Illustrator: Emila Yusof

Publisher: One Red Flower Press; March 30, 2010

Suitable for: 3 and up

Themes/Topics: Tropical Flowers, Insects, Gardens, 
Culture/Malaysia

Opening: I love playing in my mother’s garden.

Book Summary:

Follow a young girl as she explores her mother's garden with her furry friend. My Mother's Garden, is a wonderful book filled with flowers, bees, dragonflies and butterflies. Children are introduced to the names of some Malaysian tropical flowers and plants which are listed in their scientific and English common names at the back of the book. An ideal book for reading aloud and for playing 'I spy' in the outdoors as the child learns to recognize plants featured in the book!

Links to resources:

Check out the world fact book for information about Malaysia here. This link has information about ginger plants. Find more native flowers of Malaysiahere. Here are some coloring pages for a fun quiet activity. Hibiscus coloring page here and here. Have a try at these fun trivia questions here.

Why I like this book:

I loved playing in my grandmother’s garden as a little, little girl and later in my mom’s when I got a bit older. My grandmother loved to plant flowers especially roses while my mom had a vegetable garden. In “My Mother’s Garden” we follow a young Malaysian girl as she explores her mother’s exotic garden with her pet cat. You wont find your average garden variety in this garden! Much more exotic plants await to delight young children like hibiscus, ginger, frangipani and ixora. Also at the end of the book children get to learn more about the plants that are featured in the story that includes their scientific, common and Malay names.

2 comments:

Mia said...

I am so glad to find a book about Malayasia suitable for children! Thanks for your great review and for linking up!

Books4Learning said...

Looks like a beautiful book! I wish there was a copy in my library. Someday. I hope.