Monday, July 23, 2012

Meet the Author! Kelly Starling Lyons!

Meet children's author, Kelly Starling Lyons. Her mission is to transform moments, memories and history into stories of discovery. Her books include: One Million Men and Me (Just Us Books), and chapter book, NEATE: Eddie’s Ordeal (Just Us Books), Ellen's Broom (G.P. Putnam’s Sons.) and Tea Cakes for Tosh.


Today she will tell us all about her Fab Five!



Who is your favorite author? 

I love so many authors. It's hard to choose. My favorite author as a child was Madeleine L'Engle. A Wrinkle In Time did it for me. I was hooked. Today, I also count Jacqueline Woodson, Angela Johnson and Eve Bunting among my faves.
 
What is your favorite color crayon? 

Magenta
 
Which of your book characters is your favorite? 

Tosh, the character in my forthcoming picture book Tea Cakes for Tosh (illustrated by E.B. Lewis, published by G.P. Putnam's Sons), holds a special place in my heart. That book was inspired by my relationship with my grandma. There's a lot of me in Tosh.
  
What is your favorite food? 

Another tough one. I enjoy so many foods.  One of the meals I can eat anytime is curried chicken with rice and peas, plantain and coco bread. I also love blackened or fried catfish, spinach pizza and Thai basil chicken.
 
Who is your favorite superhero? 

Wonder Woman was who I liked as a kid. I thought her tiara, invisible plane and magic lasso were super cool.

No comments: